A New Year’s Tree and a Computer Game
The "mini-websites" project continues, with two new sites added to the collection: Wizardry – sorcery and my New Year’s tree site. The first is dedicated to the Wizardry computer RPG series, covering everything from the very beginning up to the eighth installment—sharing memories, impressions, and expectations. The second is a festive site designed to bring a daily dose of New Year’s cheer. It feels new every day when you have a small, glowing tree on display. The holiday is just around the corner! Everything is bright—like frost, like winter. A bright winter day. And a celebration—just like a bright day.
Let’s start
with the computer games. Wizardry. To be honest, I didn’t play it all that
much; it’s a difficult game. I was more into the Might and Magic series (parts
6, 7, and 8). Still, I’ve heard a lot about Wizardry. I tried a bit of it, saw
some gameplay, read about it in magazines, and spent a lot of time imagining
what Wizardry was actually like. It’s more complex than Might and Magic, which
is why I didn’t play it much in practice.
The site
features a dark design, reminiscent of an old-school manual from the 80s,
complete with the silhouette of a green snake or dragon. I’ve always really
liked games of this type and dreamed of being a Wizardry player. So, this site
represents my vision of Wizardry—how I imagined the game and the facts I know
about it.
The series
dates back to the 80s and the MS-DOS era. It essentially started its journey
alongside the Might and Magic series, and both games even had versions released
for the Famicom (NES/Dendy). Might and Magic later made its way to the Mega
Drive as well. Later, Wizardry came to the Super Nintendo—specifically for the
Japanese market, featuring beautiful anime-style visuals. There was even a
version for the PlayStation 2. It was 3D—actually quite beautiful—and fit on a
single CD, not even a DVD. But, once again, it was difficult to play.
And then,
of course, there was the seventh installment for MS-DOS. It featured beautiful,
hand-drawn graphics that were truly enchanting. You’d look at those game
screens and dream—imagining yourself wandering through that world. You’d dream
of becoming a programmer, learning to draw, and writing fantasy stories. But,
again, the gameplay was tough. Then came the eighth installment—spanning three
CDs for the PC. It featured 3D graphics and a fully three-dimensional
environment. It was beautiful—not a 3D shooter, but the graphics were
top-notch. Honestly, though, I didn't play it all that much. Might and Magic 6,
7, and 8 had completely captivated me. They were simpler and played in
real-time. The penalty for mistakes was lower; you could just backpedal or turn
around and run. Just sleep it off, and you were ready to try exploring the world
again.
Item number
two: my New Year’s tree. It represents New Year’s—but the kind that stays with
you every day. You might think it’s silly, but maybe it’s actually fun—exactly
the sort of thing you need in your daily life. I have one of these trees sitting
right here on my desk. It’s plastic—a modern design, made of plastic and foil.
It’s luminous; it reflects light and seems to glow. It has little New Year’s
lights, tiny gifts hanging from the branches, and more gifts piled underneath,
along with friendly little animal figures.
It gives me
a reason to let my imagination run wild about my friends—those friendly little
animals. They gather there under the little fir tree, waiting for gifts. Like
Dendy cartridges. Just like in childhood. Or maybe a toy car. Wow! The little
animals are all happy, so you should be happy too. Maybe you could sit right
there in the circle with the friendly critters. Around the little tree?
This is a
little site dedicated to that fir tree. I decided to devote so much time to such
a small tree. It’s a celebration. A snowy, bright, blue celebration. A glowing
celebration. With friendly little animals. And gifts. Cartridges and toy cars.
Plush toys—that’s what I need. Time and time again. That’s what everyone needs.
And all of this comes to life in the world of the little fir tree. It’s the
focal point. The animals gather there. They sit there. Waiting eagerly for
gifts. It’s a magical world. The little tree is right here. In this world.
These
little sites are stylized creations built using minimal HTML.
Dima Link is making retro videogames, apps, a little of music, write stories, and some retro more.
WEBSITE: http://www.dimalink.tv-games.ru/home_eng.html
ITCHIO: https://dimalink.itch.io/
TUMBLR: https://dimalink.tumblr.com/
BLOGGER: https://dimalinkeng.blogspot.com/
MASTODON: https://mastodon.social/@DimaLink







Comments
Post a Comment